So we’re thinking about a vacation and we might be completely insane for even attempting it. Four kiddos 6 and under…just the logistics gets my heart racing. In 12 short years our oldest will be off to college (hopefully somewhere close) and starting his adult life; his brothers will be following closely right after. We haven’t taken a vacation in 6 years!!! Well we technically took a small one last year to Lake of the Ozarks, but it wasn’t necessarily a destination vacation. It was just to try things out and it was only a couple hours drive from home. It wasn’t perfect and Michael ended up having a seizure and spending a week in the hospital afterwards (that’s a blog post in itself), but the boys…they LOVED it. After that adventure, we swore off vacationing, but recently we started thinking about it. Even though it is stressful at times with the planning and logistics, we know the memories will be worth it and as I mentioned the boys are growing up way too fast. There are so many places we know the boys would enjoy going to like Jamestown Settlement. And these would be educational, fun and memorable experiences.
So we are hoping to try a vacation with a small plane ride in early summer. We are praying everyone will be healthy and seizure free this time around! And hopefully after we tackle this we’ll be more comfortable with future vacations to experience with the boys. We are still looking for tips on large family traveling…just the logistics overwhelm me. So if you have tips you’d like to share, we’d love to hear them!
- Any tips for the airport and plane ride? I don’t plan on packing a lot of toys as I feel that’s just one more thing I’ll have to keep track of. Plus I think the newness of experiencing the airport and being on a plane will be distracting. So probably just an activity book or something. Oh and gum for the ear popping??? At least so I’ve heard. We might be “that” family on the plane with four screaming kiddos :/
- Our biggest concern are carseats. The idea of lugging 4 carseats to the airport is not the most appealing especially since all the boys are still in full-size ones, not little boosters. I’ve heard horror stories of the carseats to rent at the car rental places (either they don’t any or they’re just disgustingly dirty). I found a couple companies that rent baby equipment and will meet you at the car rental place. Supposedly all the items are cleaned and sanitized. They won’t install them for you due to liability, but this seems to be the best option. We’re not looking forward to having to install 4 carseats because they truly are a pain, but they’re a necessity. This is really one of my biggest stress factors.
- Driving vs Flying. I see pros and cons to each. Flying is costly, plus there’s the carseat and stroller issue, but you get to your destination faster allowing you more time there. Driving gives you the flexibility to have all the carseats and baby gear in place, but then there’s the hours of driving with 4 young kiddos. I’d love to hear large families’ experiences with both.
- Lodging. We’re also learning that in most cases when we travel, we’ll have to stay in a more condo-like setting. Most hotels only allow 4 guests per room. But we’d also need to do be able to do laundry and having a kitchen will allow us to have breakfast and other meals in instead of going out 3 times a day for 6 people which would add up fast.
- Travel Times. When are the best times to travel? Ideally we would like to travel during the non-summer months.
I’m sure I missed plenty of other things, but these are items I’m already fretting about. So any and all tips and tricks and information is welcomed! Please share!